Maitland Gaol also known as Maitland Correction Centre is a former Australian prison which opened in 1848 and closed its doors in 1998. A Wing is the oldest building and housed 40 prisoners. B Wing has 3 landings and is the biggest wing. This wing held 80 prisoners, C wing originally kept female inmates. Later it held serious offenders as well as the protecting and inmates. This wing has two cells with padding and suicide watch cell. Segregation cells were for the protection of inmates.
Bread and Water diet
Flogging with the cat-o-nine tails
Locking inmates between the grill and outer solid doors
16 men were executed between 1843 and 1897
These were public hangings until 1861 but moved inside so women and children would be able to witness these.
Women were able to take their children to prison with them
5 men escaped and where never captured